Petrol lawn mowers continue to be a popular choice for homeowners who are looking for a heavy duty machinery to maintain a bigger lawn. To keep your petrol lawn mower running smoothly for a longer period of time, proper and regular care and maintenance will go a long way.
To keep your lawn mower functioning well, here's are some of the things you can do after each use:
1. Allow it to cool down completely.
2. Keep your lawn mower clean after each use. Remove grass clipping on the mower to prevent build up, especially around the blade shaft.
3. Clean the air filter. Remove it from the air cleaner housing and wash it in warm soapy water. Let it dry completely before putting it back.
Once every year, petrol lawn mowers will respond well to a general maintenance check. The best time to do this is at the end of fall and at the start of spring, just before you use it again after leaving it idle for an entire season.
Here's what you need to do:
1. Drain the fuel tank, the carburetor and the fuel line of your lawn mower. This should be done before you store your lawn mower for the winter to prevent oxidation of stored petrol, which may cause damage to the engine of your lawn mower.
2. Change the oil. Empty and discard the oil in your petrol lawn mower's engine. Do not let dirty oil sit inside your lawn mower. Do this before you store your lawn mower for the winter.
3. Replace the fuel and the oil. At the beginning of spring, fill the fuel tank and replace the oil in your lawn mower's engine.
4. Lubricate the moving parts of your lawn mower engine. Inactivity during the winter may have caused some of the parts to go stiff. Apply some lubricant to keep them running smoothly.
5. Replace the air filter and the fuel filter. This will help the engine of your petrol lawn mower function more efficiently.
6. Inspect the spark plug. The tip should be light gray to brown in color. If it's black, it means it needs to be replaced. Make sure you use an appropriate spark plug type for your lawn mower.
7. Sharpen the cutting blade. This will make sure it continues to cut grass effectively and evenly.