In this day and age where everything is automated, it can seem like a step back when you opt to go for a reel lawn mower over a lawn mower that is powered by gas or electricity. But actually, with the right lawn conditions and the right mind set, getting a reel lawn mower could be one of the best decisions you'll ever make when it comes to lawn care.
Here are some of the pros of using and owning a reel lawn mower:
1. They are cheaper to buy than your average gas powered or electricity powered push lawn mower.
2. They are cheaper to run. The won't need gas or a full charged battery to run.
3. They are environment friendly. You consume less resources and release less pollutants .
4. They are simpler to maintain. You don't have to worry about tuning up engines, replacing batteries, troubleshooting when the machine won't work properly, etc.
5. They are lightweight. They weigh less than your typical motorized mower.
6. Smaller built means they take up less storage space. Reel lawn mowers typically have smaller frames that motorized mowers.
7. They are easy to maneuver. Contrary to the common perception of reel mowers, that they take a lot of effort to use, modern reel lawn mowers are actually easy to maneuver and in most cases will require a modest amount of force on your part.
8. They are quiet. You can mow quietly without disturbing the peace of your neighborhood.
9. They are much simpler to operate. You just push them and they're ready to do. Unlike automated lawn mowers where you have to bother with cords and buttons, fuel and charging the battery and so on.
10. They are much more pleasant to use. Aside from producing significantly less noise, they also don't produce exhaust and the unflattering smell that accompanies it.
11. They can give you a good weekly workout. Mowing the lawn regularly is good for you and good for your grass turf.
There are also some disadvantages to using a reel lawn mower:
1. Not suitable for tall and damp grass. If you have really tall grass in your lawn, or damp grass, your reel lawn mower will have a hard time cutting through. This is why it is best to regularly mow the lawn to keep the height low when using a reel lawn mower. Even with most motorized lawn mowers, it's advisable to mow the lawn when it is dry.
2. If you have willowy weeds, you need to be aware that reel lawn mowers are not designed to cut weeds. So it would be best to take care of your weed problem alongside using a reel lawn mower.
3. If you have a big lawn, it may take a while, like hours, to finish mowing. With a bigger lawn, it's really much better to get a motorized lawn mower.
Like with anything else, it all depends on your specific needs and your lifestyle. If you have a modest sized lawn and you are committed to mowing it regularly, but don't want the trouble, the headache and the expense that come with a motorized lawn mower, then this is your best bet.